IFES Ukraine in cooperation with Central Election Commission of Ukraine and with the financial support of USAID, Global Affairs Canada and UK AIDe organized BRIDGE modular workshop on Electoral Technology.
Objectives of the workshop was to describe technologies that are currently being used for electoral processes, to present guidelines for the evaluation, choice and implementation of new technologies and to explore a sound management approach in introducing new technologies based on Ukraine realities.
The Electoral Technology workshop was conducted during 27-30 November, 2017 in Zhdeniyevo (Zakarpattya region), Ukraine. The workshop was facilitated Natia Kashakashvili, Yuliya Shypilova, Yevheniia Pavlovska, and Serhii Dubovyk in Ukrainian and Russian language. In total Twenty-six participants (17 male, 9 female) attended the workshop.
The audience of the workshop was mainly election administration members, namely, CEC chairperson and CEC member, CEC IT unit staff, CEC legal unit staff, CEC State Voter Registry unit staff; also, OSCE Project coordinator, Training Centre and IFES representative has attended the workshop.
Workshop was conducted according to the following structure:
Day 1 – Electoral Technology consideration from the perspective of international principles of elections; introduction to the different types of Electoral Technologies
Day 2 – Results Management Systems and introducing of the ICT in the RMS
Day 3 – Cycle of introducing ICT in the electoral processes
Day 4 – Introducing ICT in Ukraine Results Management System
The CIT expert, workshop guest speaker, Mike Yard has enriched the workshop with the presentations on the most sensitive issues of introducing ICT in the electoral processes.
The workshop has met its objectives. Participants’ have appreciated the knowledge and skills attained from the workshop as well as very friendly and positive learning atmosphere. Below are some of the evaluation comments shared during the evaluation:
- The curriculum handbook will serve as the working document; good structure of the materials and presentations
- During BRIDGE workshops we get very high-quality information that we will always be able to use
- We hope to use this useful information in the closest future
- Being on such a workshop with the colleagues gives us opportunities to discuss and analyze the issues related to the use of ICTs in details
- Discussing the topics from the stakeholder perspective was one of the best experience
- As a technical staff, it was a new experience to be engaged in decision-making discussions
- Before the workshop I was not thinking how difficult it is to make decision on adoption of the ICT; now I understand that as we know more, decision making will be even more complicated; grateful for new ideas and positive vibes
At the end of the workshop, all participants have received certificate of completion; TtF complete facilitator Serhii Dubovyk was granted the accreditation as the workshop level BRIDGE facilitator and Yuliya Shypilova has been granted accrediting level.